Medio Pomelo

Anything that keeps us away from television must be good.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Morning mystery

Yesterday morning after waking up I reached my right hand out of under the cover and pressed 13 on the remote control as usual. CNN started to blast the morning news. I went about my morning routine:


get up, boil water, make coffee, steam, smell,
jump in shower, soap, dry,
choose clothes, 15 minutes wasted in front of wardrobe,
keep an eye and an ear on the news,

sit down, toast pops out, spread Marmite, crunch, crunch, drink,
burn tongue,
flick between 23 (MTV), 30 (BBC), 7 (Hungarian News) back to 13 (CNN),
Marmite top screws back, margarine lid closes,
open fridge, place things on shelf,
brush teeth, comb, perfect make-up, last look in mirror,
shoes, keys, switch off TV...

And here I stopped. The remote control disappeared. I put myself in reverse mode and searched the bathroom. The wardrobe. Kitchen table. Bed. Bedside table. Nothing. Then I spotted something strange. The Marmite grinning its black smile at me from the middle of the kitchen table. It never made it to the fridge. I approached it, slowly and carefully. It smiled cheekily. I opened the big white door. And there it was, shivering and scared: the remote control lying on the shelf next to the milk and the broccoli.


I gently took it out, placed it on my pillow, grabbed the fighting Marmite jar with both hands and squeezed it to the safety of the side shelf between a box of cheese and some eggs. I have never spotted who does these things to me, who steals half of my socks, hides my keys, swaps my mobile phone with the stereo control in my bag but they certainly do a very good job. I think I should consider hiring a private detective to put an end to my misery.

17 Comments:

  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Nacho said…

    Si contratas al detective privado también deberá pasarse por mi casa.

    El tema de los calcetines veo que no tiene fronteras. Daría para hacer todo un Tratado Filosófico Griego, porque es todo un misterio sin resolver. (CSI).

    También te puedo decir que un día me fui a trabajar con dos zapatos distintos sin darme cuenta. ¡Qué vegüenza!

    Gracias por tomarte la molestia de leerme en español. Nunca te lo dije. Gracias.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger I'm Scooter, but I might be a troll. said…

    Tengo un parakeet en mi cabeza.

     
  • At 10:11 PM, Blogger Steve Sheppard said…

    Can you see if my sunglasses are in there?

     
  • At 11:04 PM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said…

    Steve, you suspecting there is an international organisation involved in these incidents? :)

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger Boomer said…

    You will find Steve's sunglasses underneath my carkeys....unless....and this is weird, are those Steve's sunglasses on top of your head Dora ???

     
  • At 12:42 AM, Blogger C... said…

    It's the Mona Lisa I tell you. I lost my keys, my brother lost 40 dollars and who's next ... yikes.

     
  • At 7:02 AM, Blogger Boo said…

    totally off topic, que es un pomelo? :|

    y porque sólo hay medioo??

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger mgc said…

    gremlins! an international conspiracy organiztion to confuse and dumbfound us (and steal when required) on a continual basis.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Fran Invernoz said…

    Recomiéndame el detective porque en una ocasión, perdí la llave y la copia de mi coche. Sucedió que metí ambas en una bolsa que, en un descuido tiró dentro de un camión en un empleado de la limpieza. Me ocurrió en Buenos Aires, donde en aquellos años, las personas encargadas de la limpieza tomaban los tachos de la basura y los tiraban al camión. A partir de ahí te puedo contar infinidad de olvidos y despistes que, como bien contás, te ocurren a menudo, y lo peor es que te hacen perder mucho tiempo valioso en la vida.

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger ChickyBabe said…

    My mum is always losing things. Once i found her keys in the freezer. You're not alone!

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Dani said…

    These beings doing such a thing are very naughty, no doubt... stealing things, hiding things, but... come on! When it comes to “swapping rooms” THAT’S TOO MUCH! It has occurred to me several times that trying to have a wee and just about to pour the first drops, just found myself in the kitchen! Facing the rubbish bin!!! Come on beings! don’t do that to me, through me a freaking bone!

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know a very good private detective, Dora.

    He'd sort out the random disappearances in a flash...

     
  • At 5:25 AM, Blogger T.H. Elliott said…

    Wow, you need to know several languages to keep up with this site. I feel so dumb.

    Hmm, Nacho says we should contact a private detective to find something in his house?

    I think there is an extra opening in dryers that takes our socks.

     
  • At 10:43 AM, Blogger Kepa said…

    I always lose my money, and I do not know where!!!!

     
  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said…

    RUDI, you are so right, I always knew these Jackie Onassis style glasses were not really for me, they must have been left on my dressing table by Steve... or by the gremlins who stole it from Steve? Spoooooky!!

    MGC, I so liked your definition!!! Sounds scientific :)

    THE, never thought of the extra opening! That explains it all then!

    DANI, now that is awful! If they do that to you regularly you should definitely start counselling (and maybe give up drinking?;)

    Seems like it is a universal problem, maybe we should raise awarness and involve our governments to fight against these Gremlins or Mona Lisas...

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger Steve Sheppard said…

    Hey! now people will talk.

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    I think it is someone that you knew or were related to and they past away and are trying to tell you they are still around for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home