Medio Pomelo

Anything that keeps us away from television must be good.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

What are the odds?

I love coincidences. The weirder the better. Bumping into an old school friend on the other side of the globe, having exactly the same birthday as someone else I like blogging with, saying the same thing out loud with another person even when the discussion is about something really random... They never stop to amaze me.


But the freakiest coincidence I've ever witnessed happened yesterday. After work I met up my old friend Di for a drink. As we were sitting comfortably in a bar, chitchatting away about girly stuff her friend George turns up by chance. The two of them haven't seen each other for years during which time they both have lost/changed telephones and numbers. So when George decides to leave they start swapping their new numbers. Di types in the guy's and then to make things easier she rings George's phone. The phone starts to rock n' roll but...

... on it's screen rather than just a number, a name comes up that says "Mark - Malta". George excuses himself to pick up the phone but by then the ringing stops. Strange, we all think, but the number swapping project continues. Di rings George's phone again, the phone starts to ring and guess what, "Mark - Malta" appears on it again! So George picks it up this time but instead of a Maltese male voice Di answers the "Hihowareyou?".
Now convinced that there is something really bizarre going on there we frantically start checking the numbers. And what we find is awesome... Out of the 11 digits that make up our mobile phone numbers the last 8 digits of these two people (Di and Mark's) were identical. Same numbers in same order. Obviously George's phone was not prepared to compare the whole lot with country codes and all and therefore, when it read the last few numbers it automatically identified Di's number with Mark's, but that's not the point. The point is...

What are the odds that these two people had a friend in common and that their numbers would both end up in the memory of the same mobile? Must have been very unlikely. Not as much as my hope that one day a winning lottery ticket will fall onto my lap (I can't be bothered to buy one) but still.... Pretty cool, ey? Any good stories to share?

10 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Boomer said…

    wow those are pretty long odds...here's my story.
    A few years ago I was back in the UK running a business, a shop, with some friends. We sold furniture, rugs and artefacts from round the globe and used to travel to buy at source. On one of these trips I was in Rajasthan and went in a barbers shop for a shave. Another guy came in while I was being shaved and sat in the seat at the side of me. He spoke with an English accent and when I turned to look I discovered it was a mate of mine in the same business who was also on a buying trip. I chose the barbers shop at random, down a dusty sidestreet, and so did he....what are the odds.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger RC said…

    wow, that's pretty coincidental.

    i've never heard of such a thing happening, how cool...

    bummer for your friend who doesn't know how to store the phonenumbers now.

    --RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

     
  • At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dora. I'm visiting from Chickybabe's page.

    Very nice post.Amazing how that kind of things happens. It's a small world, I guess...

     
  • At 5:17 AM, Blogger ChickyBabe said…

    That's freaky but in a nice way. I'd buy a lottery ticket!

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said…

    Rudi, awesome story! I hope the barber didnt cut you when you jumped in surprise! Thanks for sharing!!

    RC, you're right, in the end G had to type in my friend's number manually but not sure if that will do the trick.

    Winter, thanks for the visit!
    CB, I can't help it, I always forget to buy one...

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger T.H. Elliott said…

    I'm a sucker for the lottery. I buy them all the time, I'm going to win!

    I went out for my 21st birthday one time, and my friends took me to all the bars on the main college strip in town.

    We ended up at one place where a girl from high school was also celebrating her 21st birthday. So we all joined posses and did drinking games together.

    Good times.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger egan said…

    I'm a little freaked out by that story. It's like Michael Jackson freaky. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a swell weekend.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger Dark Romanticism said…

    Nice blog, im from mexico from now u have a new blogaddict...

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Fran Invernoz said…

    My favourite number es seven. Last day y find in the personal counter of my blog: 777. ¿What does it mean?. It's a mistery.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    I don't think it's a coincidence. I think it's fate, or what ever people call it, a meant to be kind of thing.
    Maybe that lottery ticket will fall into your lap after all,(if it's meant to be). lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home