Medio Pomelo

Anything that keeps us away from television must be good.

Sunday, November 02, 2008

Day of the Dead



Yesterday was Day of the Dead in the Catholic calendar. Hungary is a Catholic country. By this I mean more the mentality and the traditions of my people than the actual number of church-goers.


Each year I get the uncomfortable impression that we celebrate this day with more fervour than celebrating life, birth or marriages. Our cemeteries get flooded with people in their best Sunday suits lighting candles on tomb stones and covering every inch of the marble with flowers. I for my part tend to stand in embarrassed silence, kicking dust, thinking when the appropriate moment arrives to say: "Time to go home folks" and all this without really dedicating a thought for the relatives whose long-gone existence is recorded in faded black-and-white film in my head. That's because there is so much to see in a cemetery this day it distracts me completely.

I find it disturbing that there seems to be a competition to win the title: "Best Mourner of the Year". Flowers, candles, photos of dead people, wreaths - symbols of loss and remembrance, but in such great abundance reduced to symbols of hypocrisy. I get angrier year by year just as the symbols get more and more. Wouldn't one single white rose mean the same as a bouquet of 100? In my opinion it would.

I always wish I could persuade my family to all just light a candle at home. To remember where we come from, who our ancestors were, why we are thankful to them. Simply, quietly, without making a showcase out of it. Without getting into cheap theatrical scenes.

It also seems very contradictory to me that a Christian culture should hang onto the earthly remains of their beloved with such desperation that even the poor save up small fortunes to buy big, shiny, fashionably flashy tombstones for their family. We grow up believing that our bodies will disappear and unite with Mother Earth and only our souls will survive up there in cloudy Heaven or down in fiery Hell - and that is without the help of coffins, tomb stones, wreaths, flowers, Day of the Dead candles. As for myself I definitely don't wish for any better for after my death than my ashes to be scattered around into the muddy waters of the Danube or Lake Balaton. I'm hoping I'll live a life worth remembering independently from a special day in the calendar or from a hole in the ground somewhere in an overcrowded cemetery.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:23 AM, Blogger Doug P. Baker said…

    Sounds like the daughters in King Lear competing to outdo eachother in telling their father how much they love him. But it was the daughter who didn't BS that actually and honestly did love him. Yes, I would prefer one white rose.

     
  • At 5:33 AM, Blogger almost loved said…

    This is the first time I've heard about Day of the Dead. (Sorry I'm stupid!) ;)

    Thanks for sharing. This is one reason I love reading blogs (including yours), I learn so much about things I never thought I'd read up on.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Sebastián Leonangeli said…

    Definetely a white rose would do it for me.
    We should remember our loved ones whenever we wanted to, not in any special ocasion. As you said, day of the dead, mother's day, christmas, and such, are all just excuses to spend the money people don't have in things they don't really need.

     
  • At 11:31 PM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said…

    Doug P.B., absolutely! The greater the guilt the bigger the bouquet of flowers!

    Almost L: :)) Thank you :)) That was a very sweet comment and that's the same reason why I enjoy blogging too. Bloggers make these differences more real than books or newspaper articles because through their blogs you get to know their personalities a bit too.

    Seba: so true! we don't need them but we compulsively spend the money on them. I'm glad you're thinking like me.

     
  • At 1:18 PM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    I saw that in a movie once. It reminded me of our Easter ceremony. But we only do it for Jesus. We go to the church at midnight they have a cardboard image of Jesus laying in a fake casket. Everyone holds lighted candles in Greece they walk the street, but in American we did. Then you try to make it home without the candle going out, if you do it's good luck.
    I think over the years as each new generation grows up we will lose a little more and a little more of tradition and less and less people will participate.
    But for now wouldn't it be nice not to make such a to do of it. I like the one white rose theory.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home