Medio Pomelo

Anything that keeps us away from television must be good.

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Hen Parties, Weddings, Babies and Other Single-Girl-Nightmares

There is something inevitable about the fact that people around you will start getting married and falling pregnant when you are most miserably single. The timing is usually so perfect that you are not only without a boyfriend when you are invited to a wedding but also, all single guy friends go on holidays or business trips who you had counted on as possible pretend-partners for the event.

This Summer I am breaking all my previous records: 4 hen nights, 4 weddings, 4 newborn babies in my closest surroundings. And here I am typing along in an empty flat, feeling ever so sorry for myself. I'm hating it. I want to be truly happy for all this happiness knowing that one day I will experience something similar. But it's very hard to not think about the emptiness that fills my heart when each weekend I witness another couple declaring their ever lasting passion to each other in a public display.

I so wish I could have a magic mirror and peep into the future. Into this time, in 3 years'. Or 5 or 10. And see for a second whether hoping and making an effort is worth the trouble or not. See if I could stop agonising over whether one day I will deserve to feel the best thing in the world: to be in love or if that opportunity has already slipped trough my fingers for good.


5 Comments:

  • At 12:09 PM, Blogger Rod said…

    Welcome back my little Hungarian mate, great to see your smiling face back in the blogosphere.
    Being single doesnt mean being miserable....being miserable means being single. How profound was that!!!
    Que sera sera my friend...you're too nice a person to be unhappy, and that smile of yours shines too brightly to remain hidden for too long.

     
  • At 8:55 PM, Blogger Nacho said…

    No sé si entendí bien todo el sentido que querías darle al post. Glubs. Mil sorrys. Ya sabes mi inglés no mi fuerte.

    Pienso que ser single nunca nunca quiere decir ser miserable.

    Todo llega en su debido momento, pero para darse uno mismo para dar lo mejor de uno mismo para recibir lo mejor de otro primero hay que ser feliz uno mismo.

    Un besorrio, guapetona.

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    Enjoy your freedom while you are single and stop worrying about never finding someone and I promise you love will hit you right in the heart when you least expect it.
    However if you want it so badly that you keep looking for it to happen you might make the wrong decision and be sorry later.
    So take my advise, just be happy be happy being single and do your own thing and let love find you. It's so worth it.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger T.H. Elliott said…

    Being married is great (Holly is my wife btw, Ron is her brother), but it's not the end all be all that people think. Basically it's like having a room mate that you can have sex with. Oh, and you can't date anyone else.

    Of course there's more to it, but it's not always the happy shiny romance that people make it out to be, it takes work. So enjoy being single while you can.

     
  • At 1:29 AM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said…

    Thanks everyone! I really do know I shouldn't be rushing this but sometimes it's damn hard. Maybe I'm wrong to think all would be different if I could share my experiences with someone I loved. But then I don't think it is so much to ask for... being alone is fine for a while but when it becomes being lonely then it starts being miserable too.

    I'll let you know about the happy ending one day :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home