Medio Pomelo

Anything that keeps us away from television must be good.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

At last...

Phew... It was a close call. I hardly made it, as usual. Amazing how stupidly I still spend my money during the first 2 weeks after payday just to be totally skint for the last 2 weeks. And I mean totally. 2 USD/day kinda skint. OK, this is not so harsh in reality as I have my savings account that brings me closer month by month to buying my own apartment one day. But that is an absolute Mustn't Touch thing.


This is how I usually manage my finances and I wonder if I am the only greedy bugger out there to do this. When my wages hit my bank account I immediately transfer a large chunk into my savings. (Protection against myself.) Then I go on a 2-week-madness spending spree: cinemas, fine wine, restaurants in Central Square, some gifts to me because I'm worth it, some gifts to people I love because I love them, new books, new t-shirts, concerts.... I stop it when I suddenly realise that I have enough money left for a very tight week and there are still 15 days till Payday. And that's when I start eating cheap junk or nothing, drink water, become very creative for birthday presents and make myself believe that nothing will happen if I don't pay my electricity bill dead on time.

Of course I have to realise I'm rich in terms of what the majority of the people in the world have. Savings and a real possibility of investing it one day in a home for myself is such a luxury, such a gift. Still, I feel month after month that payday can't come soon enough and that a winning lottery ticket would bring me the ultimate happiness and solutions to everything. How dumb of me...

4 Comments:

  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Sebastián Leonangeli said…

    You're not the only one. I do exactly the same.
    I keep an excel file where I state all the expenses I will (or think I will) have in the month. I deduct that from my sallary and the rest goes to a savings account that I rarely touch.
    At least in Argentina, if you don't do something like that, you're screwed :)

     
  • At 11:02 PM, Blogger COTI said…

    I am impressed by the things that you write to me ^^
    ¡THOUSANDS OF THANKS!
    for reads what I write and you have time of commenting on me.. éso lo valoro totalmente

    xoxo.
    Cotii

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Medio Pomelo said…

    Sebastian, good to know you do the same :o) You sound like a well organised person! :)

    Cloudy R, thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you think my visit is a good thing :) Hugz!

     
  • At 3:15 AM, Blogger almost loved said…

    I always wished I could win the lottery too. So that I don't have to be frugal when it comes to shopping for groceries or clothes. Poor me. Literally.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home